Get In My Belly, Craftsies, Musings, Fasionistas, Fluffy Butt

Saturday, May 4, 2013

How to Cook Dry Chickpeas

The chickpeas should either soak over night before you want to cook them or you can use a speedier method, which I used.

Take out a baking sheet and pour your peas in an even layer, discard any that are really shriveled, then rinse with cold water.
Then put the peas in a pot and cover with two inches of water, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer for four to five minutes. Remove them from the heat and let soak for one hour, and then get out your colander and drain and rinse the peas.
Put the peas back in the pot and cover with three to four inches of water.  Bring the water to a boil and simmer on medium heat for an hour or until nice and tender.

You can add salt at this point if you'd like and let the peas absorb it while they cool.

Once cooled, drain the peas and use them for hummus, stews, etc. immediately or you can freeze them for later use.

I used two small bags of dried peas. Once they cooled I sorted them into 15 ounce batches (which is how much would be in a can) in ziplock freezer bags. Now when I 'm feeling like hummus I can grab a bag from the freezer and whip up a yummy snack. The chickpeas themselves were very tasty. My daughter and I kept snacking on them while they cooled.
Not sure what to make with these cooked beans? Try my awesome hummus recipe!

-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment